Wedding Dress Fail


Well, I finally finished the bodice on my dress. And this was the result. The lumps on the edges are the result of it slowly creeping its way off of my chest. Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed. I did a little research online though and found out that the issue wasn’t my sewing ability, but the pattern itself. Apparently I’m not the only one who tried this pattern with the strapless bodice option and found it creeping down. There really just isn’t enough boning to keep it in place (only the one piece on the side goes all the way down the bodice; the other four aren’t even all the way down the top half of the bodice). So my options are to make one of the other bodice options with that pattern or find a new bodice pattern. Considering the bodice pattern was extremely large for the measurements (I have a 37″ bust, but ended up using the size marked for a 32.5″ bust) and some of the instructions were actually wrong, I decided to find a new one. I’m happy with the skirt (though it’s not laying down in the photo), so I got this pattern.

Unlike the pattern I was using, this has boning that goes all the way down. As an added bonus, you can make it with a corset back, which was what I really wanted in the first place. I’m going to make the strapless version of view D.

In other Etsy news, I found a photographer who is looking to get into product photography and is willing to shoot my veils for free in exchange for the credit. Unfortunately our appointment for tomorrow had to be postponed, which is just as well considering it’s still going to be rather hot with a chance of thunderstorms. However, I made two new veils – a floor length veil and a cathedral length veil with a blusher – in preparation for it. I probably won’t be able to photograph myself in them since they require some positioning that I can’t do before a self-timer goes off. Hopefully next week they’ll be listed.

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “Wedding Dress Fail

  1. Oh man! There is nothing worse than a pattern not turning out how you had expected, but you have done super well to push through the frustration and getting on with something that will fit you better. Turns out it was meant to be as it has that corset back!
    Good luck with round two, I bet it will be amazing 🙂
    Vivid (found you through Interactive Blogging Team)
    Ps, some sneaky boob tape can work wonders on tops which wont sit still too

    1. Thanks! I think the corset back was meant to be too 🙂 Luckily Joann is having a sale this week, so I’ll go stock up on the materials tomorrow. Boob tape can work wonders, but some things are beyond its abilities to fix and I think the first bodice was one of them.

  2. Oh no, what a pain! Your new pattern looks much like a corset I once made, though, and that turned out well with boning all the way down and around. It was so fiddly to make, though – I don’t envy you having to start again. The skirt looks great, though, so yay for small wins!

    1. I’m glad yours turned out well. I imagine it will be quite fiddly – there are a number of pieces and it has a layer of underlining as well as lining. My least favorite part of sewing is cutting the fabric, but hopefully it will be worth it this time.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s